Sunday, March 7, 2010

Plane Ride to San Franciso

I’m on the plane on my way to San Francisco. This should be a really fun trip. I worry about my dad since he’ll be home alone, but I think he’ll be fine. I’m watching House while I write this, waiting on commercials to end. Really horrible system they have here, whenever there’s an announcement they run them through your headphones at the loudest volume that they could possibly blast information. I have to throw my headphones across the cabin whenever they have something to say. It really put me in the mood to tell them to shut the fuck up. Every time they wanted to tell me about something they were offering, there is no way I’d want it, just because my ears were exploding.

That’s pretty great, captain just made an announcement through a really interesting portion of the show. Hey apparently movies have been cutting in and out, so free movies today. They have up in the air showing. That movie is pretty excellent, but I think I’ll wait before watching it. It might be the first DVD I buy since 300. I kind of regret buying 300; that movie is kind of unwatchable. When I first saw it in theatres, I was really entertained by the pure manliness of it. It’s exactly the same effect I got when I first played gears of war. However, the main issue is that entertainment is not sustainable at all. The idea of “replayability” is nonexistent. Without substance, the audience won’t really be able to connect with your work. They might feel happy, laugh, or be generally entertained at different periods of time, but without substance it makes it very difficult for the audience to reconnect once they are already expecting everything that made them happy, laugh, or be generally entertained. Everything is lost.

E-Harmony commercial makes me life. To think that being compatible makes a relationship is silly. To think that anything makes a relationship is silly. I was once told by a good friend of mine that two people should inherently have common interests, otherwise you are just taking turns doing what the other person enjoys. Now, I’ll agree that this is a failing or failed relationship. However, just because someone hasn’t experienced something extensively yet doesn’t mean they wouldn’t fully enjoy it and find that they might even have a passion for it bigger than the person who introduced it to them. I find it really annoying when this happens, of course. It’s annoyingly cutesy and I hate seeing. But if I’m going to be honest about it, it’s actually a beautiful thing and I’d love a relationship where I can open someone up to new experiences and I could be opened up to new experiences myself.

Ah, as I suspected. They’re gypsies. This is an excellent episode. Love it.

Something just occurred to me. New experiences only last a relatively short period of time. Eventually you will either run out of time to keep trying new things, or you’ll run out of things you’re interested in trying. If you don’t connect on a really deep level before new experiences run out, the relationship will run thin very quickly. And it’s kind of dangerous to base a relationship on trying new things. It’s not much different than a relationship based on sex in a dangerous place or something equally as short term as that. There is an argument for starting at a point where both people share a lot of passions, but I guess my original thought is still valid. Just because you aren’t starting out with all of the same interests doesn’t mean that you can’t develop common interests. Furthermore if you do share all of the same interests, there isn’t enough room for disagreement. You will probably have a lot of the same views and have little room for debate.
I find avid agreement to be one of the most annoying things in the world and I’m serious about that one. It’s not that agreeing on something is particularly bad. For example, I think we can all agree that I am tall, dark, and handsome. It saves time and puts people at ease with each other. When there is nothing but disagreement, people start to get a little on edge. There needs to be a bit of a balance, as does everything.

It brings us back to what started this segment. eHarmony’s point would be finding someone who is your balance. Someone you can harmonize with. I sometimes wonder how their search algorithms work. It’s entirely possible that they are able to find someone who is your balance, but I highly doubt it. One particular implementation that I might use is to simply take a set amount of shared traits, and a set amount of traits that may or may not relate but conflict in some way, and put them together. If eHarmony ever used this method for finding matches, I would find the irony to be absolutely beautiful. I think people who are desperate enough would find a relationship with someone who they match with only partially quite fulfilling.
Oh my god, House just took a 25 foot tapeworm out of a girl who couldn’t feel pain. That is so gross and hilarious.

I’m seeing these iPhone commercials. These new ones that show all the apps you could use. It really shows off all the uses of an iPhone. It’s amazing how hit or miss apple’s ideas can be. When the iPod came out, people went crazy over them. They were really easy to use and everyone was happy with them. They then came out with a bunch of spinoffs. None of them took hold as something everyone needed to switch to. Then the iPhone comes out and people freak the fuck out. Everyone has to get their hands on one. And the next thing is the iPad and no one wants anything to do with it. People are upset, but what I wonder is what the next step after the iPad is. It may be the next step or the step after, but I’m sure apple with throw something else down that everyone would be willing to kill someone for. Perhaps it might be something as thin as paper that can solidify with the touch of a button. It’s an idea that’s been going around but I would put money on apple being the first one to offer it to mainstream.

God, I love who this show is targeted it. There are so many commercials for women. Tampax. Vagisil. Whatever that new birth control apparatus called Mirena that goes in the uterus and lasts for five years. These are really awful commercials to have to sit through.

“What did you go to school in France?” is a great response to a doctor ranting about how Iraq is filled with uranium from using depleted munitions.

I never took the opportunity of a night flight to gaze out the window of the beauties that are the stars. I don’t really know why; these are the best opportunities to see them. Floating above the clouds, there is nothing to get in the way of those bright lights. Everyone has different reasons for wanting to go to space but I think there is at least a small desire for everyone. I sometimes wonder whether the deep would be just as interesting with all the fascinating creatures that are able to survive that depth. They are different worlds though. The lights of the heavens are wonderful. Nothing compares to actually seeing them too. The way the light moves through space doesn’t come through in photos or in digital form. There’s something about the way it stretches on forever no matter direction you look. Once that’s compressed to 2D, you don’t get that effect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment