Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Grad School

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about graduate school to continue my education in the field of computer science, but I’ve started to think about the uses of such a degree. A program I would enjoy would have a number of electives in the field of computer graphics for me to choose from, since this is the only subject matter in academic computer science that actually interests me. The trouble I have though is the fact that getting into a good program would be difficult given my grades, and then I’d have to pay for the program once I got in.

The benefit, of course, would be future careers in computer graphics doing research for big companies. However, every company I have ever looked into always valued experience as much as a degree. Why, then, am I going to waste a year and a boat load of cash just for a title and a piece of paper? Part of me is fond of the idea of the title of course, but it’s really unjustifiable. If I can throw down a full portfolio of graphics demos, then I will most definitely have the necessary experience to end up wherever I want. I’ll just have to work hard to learn what I need to learn on my own and produce these demos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment